Sunday, March 12, 2006

Sun. March 12

From what has been and may still be a stormy MO,

Actually our excitement began a little after 9:30 last evening. I was in bed - watching tv with the girls - when I heard the Life Flight go over - no big deal as this happens frequently. Then I heard either that helicopter or another one seemingly hovering over this area - that is not usual. About that time, Mary Thompson called (they had returned 24 hours earlier than planned from Indianapolis) with the news that a helicopter seemed to be over their home and that an ambulance and a landing zone seemed to have been established in what we call the "north forty" from their home. The girls were agitated by this time (have learned not to react to the usual Life Flight) so I headed to the front door - and there seemed to be lots of activity. I actually got to see the helicopter above the Thompson home and watched it land close to the sidewalk by Park Lane - just south of the medical clinic. I was rather worried as there are several power lines in the area. I never did see if someone was brought out from the clinic or whether the possibility existed that a helicopter was already on the single pad at the hospital - hopefully the CT will have some explanation on Monday.

Eventually I tucked the girls into their sleeping crate and we settled down for the night. I did get up once with them, but the next time they heard their father coming from the basement and he let them outside.

Jim and I ended up going to Country Kitchen for breakfast this a.m.

We have had two storms go through this area today and may miss a third storm as right now they are talking Jamesport and Trenton. The first storm was about 25 miles south of us, but we still got a downpour and some wind. The second storm came during the second half of the Texas - KU basketball game. Jim had the sound so loud that at first I didn't make out the tornado warning being blown, but finally realized that something was making noise outside. Of course the KC tv stations (especially channel 5) do a good job of covering our area and that had made me maybe a little more alert. We had already put harnesses on the girls and located their leashes - so off we went to the area under the stairway that goes to the basement. Jim has the area pretty well set up - a regular radio (that can also use batteries), a weather radio (electric and battery), an electric light, battery powered tap lights, bottled water, two folding chairs, etc. Oh, yes, also four ponchos.

We could hear hail and then heavier hail and then finally silence. Jim went upstairs and realized the sirens had stopped. The ground was not solidly covered with hail, but we still had a lot of hail on the ground. I would guess it ranged from dime, nickel, and close to quarter size. The deck had quite an accumulation on the south end - evidently rain/hail had come from the north and had blown to this area. The girls were delighted as they love to eat ice! The drainage areas at either side of the road were moving faster than I have seen them in years. I think they would have swept most people off their feet with their speed and depth. Sedalia may have had a tornado touch down today from what I heard on tv.

I had watched much of the Duke/Boston College game this afternoon and watched as much of the Texas game as weather would allow. I have spent much of the day putting the binding on the hooked item that I have finished. When you attach the binding to the back, then an area is exposed between the last row of hooking and the edge of the binding so this needs to be covered with wool yarn - one loop at a time. The project is now done other than using a hand vacuum on it to remove loose threads and dog hair. One issue of the rug hooking magazine that I subscribe to has a good pattern that I will probably use for my next project - vase with flowers. I will be able to use wool that I have accumulated from thrift stores and the store at Bosworth.

We have a rather full day on Monday. I do the computer work for Mobile Meals in the a.m. and then we have an appointment at 10:00 do get our taxes done. Jim will probably be going by Dr. Metry's office in the a.m. to set up another appointment. He bought some diabetic socks today and thinks that maybe his older socks might have been cutting off circulation - which seems to indicate to me that his ankles and feet might be swelling for some reason.

Be safe.
B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home