Thursday, August 02, 2007

July 24 - Aug. 2

From a muggy, warmish MO,

The past several days have been busy. We went to Liberty the afternoon of the 25th, checked into the "TreeHouse" (comparable probably to Ronald McDonald House) and then set out on a few last minute errands. Jim and I arrived at the hospital about 7:15 the next a.m. with bloodwork first being done and then was directed to the pre-op area. We had an excellent pre-op nurse and by 10:00 or a little after, Jim was being wheeled into the surgical area.

Sandy McG. and Jeanette S. had come to the hospital to be with me during the surgery. When I heard from the doctor about 12:30, the three of us headed to the basement cafeteria for lunch. by about 2:00 Jim was being taken to the orthopedic area and the two ladies departed and I headed to Jim's room.

The first 24 hours were not pleasant for Jim, but they had him up the next afternoon and more therapy was done on Saturday - with me also learning how to give his Lovenox injection. They also showed me about changing the dressing on the incision - 24 staples - about 12 to 13 inches in length.

We headed home on Sunday afternoon and had a rough, restless night. I wondered if I was physically up to taking care of him. The Home Health therapist arrived on Monday a.m. and checked him out and then the Home Health RN - in charge of his care - also arrived. We had to order a wider commode for Jim and it also arrived. About 4:30, I went to the kennel and retrieved the girls - am thinking both of us needed them around - and they have been excellent.

We had a much better night on Monday - with Jim managing most of his many trips to the bathroom on his own and the girls not raising any fuss with the many trips. They have become good troupers. Both of us had a lot more energy on Tuesday and I kept trying to encourage Jim to keep ahead of his pain.

Wednesday saw the therapist here again - and she seemed to think he had made a lot of progress. I had a haircut already scheduled for that morning and Pat N. came over to visit with Jim while I was gone. He enjoys Pat and both of them also enjoyed a HD program that included the Austin bats - something we have yet to see.

Wednesday night was another bummer, but at least I convinced him after several trips to the bathroom and some pain, that it was okay to take the two recommended Vicodin rather than trying to get by on one - and I didn't hear anything until the girls needed to go outside at 6:30 (they had been in their sleeping crate since 9:30). Jim took another Vicodin and the four of us slept until after 8:00! He seems to do much better in the daytime than at night.

Physical therapy will be here again on Friday and beyond that there will be Mon., Wed., and Fri. visits next week - with a trip to Liberty on Thursday to see Dr. George - the surgeon.

The drainage with the incision has gone from changing the bandages three times a day to where today I will probably not change it until morning - actually will probably let the therapist change it so she can check the incision.

He came home to a clean bed and I changed bedding again today. I'm thinking this should be done twice a week until that incision is completely healed. He has been good about wearing the support hose - thank goodness - and so far has not indicated the desire to drive. When the latter happens, I am thinking that I will lose the truck keys until he sees the doctor and gets clearance to drive! I don't think he will try to drive the car as it is much more difficult to get into and out of.

We are very dry here - really need rain. It sounds as if the KC area is getting a few showers this evening, but nothing seems to be in the offing here. I am thinking that if someone through out a cigarette and it landed in the "grass" - that it would go up like a tinderbox.

Be safe.
B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home