Sunday, June 03, 2007

Sun. June 3

From a sunny day in MO,

I've not been on in several days, but I have been doing several things. I picked up Kay on the 30th of May at KCI (flight had been delayed a couple of hours) and after eating at Panera at Liberty, we headed home. The downpour had already started and we drove in a downpour until about Hamilton - then got ahead of the deluge.

We left at 8:00 on Thursday a.m. to drive to Springfield, ILL to take in some Lincoln interests. We saw the Lincoln home and the tomb on Thursday afternoon, retired to the motel where we had made arrangements to stay, ate at a good Mexican place, and then retired for the evening. Well, I retired and Kay went to the fitness room to work on the treadmill.

On Friday, we made a quick trip to Panera to pick up a scone for Jim (we had a good breakfast at the Hampton Inn) and then headed to the Lincoln Museum. There were not too many people ahead of us and we had about an hour and a half before the school groups arrived. This is really an interesting museum with a diversity of exhibits and interactive displays. The special exhibit at this time centers around Mary Lincoln. We then went to a nearby mom and pop cafe and had excellent wraps and salads for lunch.

Afterwards we went to the Lincoln library where a very accomodating lady looked up data on my great, great uncle that had mustered in at Springfield and died after the battle of Vicksburg. Some of the data I already knew, but I had not realized he was a resident of Illinois at that time as I had assumed he lived in Macon County, MO - close to his parents.

Next we went to a church that has the pews that the Lincoln family rented for Sunday services. The guide gave us a tour of the church (not the actual church where Lincoln attended) and showed us stained glass windows made by Louis Tiffany. They were spectacular!

We made a short detour at Steak and Shake to get a yogurt milk shake - then headed west to Chillicothe, MO. Somehow - either negligence and/or enjoying the milk shake, I took a wrong turn and soon realized we were on the interstate heading southwest to St. Louis - not where I wanted to go. We eventually got off and a good lady at a filling station showed us how to avoid repeating our trip back to Springfield and how we could still reach highway 36. All in all, this accounted for about an hour delay in returning home.

On Saturday, I had a few errands to do and eventually we went by Pat Nichols and she joined us for a trip to Trenton and Huckleberry's - and then on to H&M store south of Jamesport.

We haven't done much today other than a couple of errands. I am going to fix my infamous no fat refried bean burritos for supper. I made some coleslaw this afternoon and even fixed a pan of brownies - so we should not starve.

Jim is driving us to the NKC area on Monday a.m. where we will have a good breakfast at Perkins and then will take us on to the airport. We have already downloaded our boarding passes so that will save a little bit of time. Kay leaves a little after 1:00 for Lubbock (has a stop in Dallas) and I leave at 3:00 for LAX. Jim's younger brother will pick me up and then we are joining other family members at Dragon Palace in Santa Monica for supper.

I talked to Margaret on Saturday afternoon and she had experienced a bad night - and wasn't feeling very good. I talked to her this afternoon and she had worn out much quicker walking this morning than what she had anticipated. My guess is that she won't be dismissed on Monday, but probably Tuesday.

I probably won't be back on line until June 11 as I fly back to KC on the 10th.

Be safe.
B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home