Sunday, May 20, 2007

Mon.-Sun. May 14-20

From MO,

The past week has been quite diverse. Jim left early last Monday a.m. to head to Pomme de Terre (via Hamilton and highway 13 - adding about 50 miles to the trip.) I had Mobile Meals and a couple of errands to do here. I dropped the girls off at the kennel about 10:30 and I followed his trek. (We had to detour as highway 65 south of Carrollton was still closed due to flooding.)

Monday was rather warm and by the time (about 2:30) that I arrived at the campsite that Jim had selected - the trailer was in place and almost in order. I unloaded the few things that I took and put items away in the trailer. Less than an hour later, I was outside and noticed movement on an old asphalt road maybe 20 feet from the trailer (might be 30 feet) and realized it was a long black type of snake coming towards our campsite!!! I an scared spitless of snakes and this one didn't help my attitude. The area around the campsite had not been mowed recently and the grass was probably about 4 to 5 inches tall - enough that I would not have spotted this critter had I not noticed it on the asphalt. Jim found the long metal tool that is used on the awning and proceeded to "rescue" me by somehow turning the snake around so that it headed back to the lake. I am not sure if it was a regular black snake as it was quite white on the belly area - but at least I didn't see it again.

We had heat in camp on Monday, rain for most of Tuesday, and then cool (in the low to mid 40s nights) and temperate days (upper 60s to low 70s) for the rest of the week. We have a good furnace in the trailer so we never really had to deal with the 40 plus degree nights. We only had the a/c on Monday afternoon and early evening.

Jim had switched the propane gas tanks on our previous visit and on Tuesday took the empty to a nearby all/purpose store where it was filled - for $15.00 - which I didn't think was bad. We've had the trailer since June of 2002 - so the tank did a good job for us.

On Tuesday a.m., we made a quick trip to Bolivar before the rain set in. I am not sure the outing was completely necessary, but there were a few items on our list. We spent the rest of the day resting and reading.

I finished three books in the time we were there. The first book was by Geraldine Brooks (a new author for me). Jan had brought YEAR OF WONDERS to a breakfast session several weeks ago and several of the group have read it. The setting is 1666/1667 in England during one of the dealings with the plague. The small community decides to quarantine itself and the book relates the interactions of various community people. The book is based on fact, but it is considered to be a work of fiction. The second book I read was TALLGRASS by Sandra Dallas. I have enjoyed most of her other books. The setting for this is WWII in southeastern Colorado where an intern camp for Japanese from the west coast was built. The third book was THE BODY IN THE IVY by Katherine Hall Page - a long term favorite light author of mine. The only problem with this book is that I finally made a crib sheet to keep the characters straight. Sandy Mc had said I probably would want to do this - and I quickly did.

Jim caught several fish on Wednesday - keeping four large bass which he cleaned. I froze them and brought them home for us to eat here. He also fished on Thursday, but had already decided he wouldn't clean any fish.

On Wednesday night we went to an eating establishment called "Becky's" just west of Galmey at what is called the triangle. One of the camp hosts had commented on the large size of the jumbo tenderloin. We ordered this with the idea of splitting. They brought it to the table on a turkey server and with two large buns and trimmings. Jim estimated that the tenderloin was probably about 12 inches by 15 inches - anyway we cut it into four portions - eating only two. I froze the other two portions and have used them to top off good salads after we have returned home. Not too much goes to waste around it - guess it goes to our waist!

We left camp about 10:30 on Friday morning hoping we could get through at Carrollton, but the call to the state road condition number told us otherwise. We were back in Chillicothe about 3:00 as we stopped at Higginsville for a sandwich and to return a call to Jim's sister.

We unloaded and then picked up the girls from the kennel. We spent quality time with them the rest of the evening - and were up with them several times during the night - a usual procedure the first night home from the kennel - or if we have been gone all day.

We left here about 9:00 on Saturday a.m. to go to Kearney for the sectional track meet. The top four individuals or teams in each event qualify to go to the state track meet this coming weekend. Our senior pole vaulter had a difficult day and did not qualify, but the freshman girl placed fourth and will be competing at Jefferson City on Saturday afternoon - guess where we will be going on Saturday. I thought I had applied suntan lotion adequately, but I managed a royal burn. I bought an "old man" hat (with brim) last week before the track meet and this helped save my face last week and this weekend.

We have accomplished several things today - have been through two newspapers, mowed the yard, did some edging, did two loads of laundry, vacuumed upstairs, and I must be forgetting something - oh, yes, a good nap this afternoon. We did walk with the girls this morning - the full mile or is it a mile and a quarter.

I have Mobile Meals in the a.m. and then some errands to be done either by myself or with Jim. We have a couple of insurance notices that we need to take to our local agent to have him explain them to us (seems to us the printed information is contradictory!) - what else is new.

Be safe.
B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home