Tuesday, June 12, 2007

June 4-June 12

From what has been a very nice latespring day in MO,

This has been a busy time since I last was on the computer. We left here on the fourth and we made a stop at Liberty at Perkins for a good breakfast. We had some extra time so we made another stop at Borders - and then on to the airport. Kay returned to Lubbock and I flew to LA - departures about two hours apart. Jim went to the Liberty hospital and had an MRI on his kneee (we still haven't heard anything about the results.)

My flight was late leaving KC (waiting for the incoming flight), but we must have made up some time enroute as we weren't quite so late when we arrived in LA. Luggage in LA is much slower than in Kansas City, but I finally located my suitcase and made connections with Tom (Jim's younger brother) on about his fifth trip circling the airport.

He drove us to Santa Monica where he carried my suitcase in and then picked up his two daughters and we went to El Cholo's for our evening meal. Between the first of May and maybe the end of September, one of their specialities is green corn tamales. This is something that you probably would either love or hate - and I love them. Afterwards he dropped the girls and me off at the apartment unit.

On Tuesday, I walked to the UCLA/Santa Monica hospital and found Margaret sitting on the edge of the bed - waiting to go home. She called Spiro (one of the apartment tenants) and he came to the "circle drive" - and then we waited probably 30 to 45 minutes for someone to show up with a wheelchair.

Margaret was in much better shape than I anticipated - to the point that on Wednesday, she was daring enough for me to drive in LA traffic. She was an excellent navigator as she would tell me one or two blocks ahead when I needed to switch lanes - anyway we ended up going to Junior's (a long time deli institution in LA) and then on to the shopping center across the way to find a couple of items she realized she needed. We then made it safely back to the apartment house - and some much needed rest.

We got out again on Thursday to go to the grocery store to stock up and then went by Campo's for an avocado burrito for lunch. We were driven by her son, Tim, to an Indian restaurant that evening. Risa, Tim's wife, was sort of celebrating as she has become an "author." The book will come out in January - CINESCOPES. Readers are invited to submit ten of their favorite movies and then the computer offers "spectacular" insights into what this choice means about you. I submitted my choices a year or so ago and was rather intrigued as to how close the "insights" were about me.

We basically rested on Friday.

On Saturday, we got out again and did a restocking of groceries (mainly fruit) for Margaret. Actually in the morning I was invited to return to St. Sophia's for another viewing of the church by Spiro and then we went across the street to Papa Cristo's for a marvelous Greek lunch. The place is not fancy, but the food is great. Margaret and I got out that evening and went to the French/Williams favorite Chinese eating place - just a few blocks from the apartment house.

Margaret has impressed me with her ability to maneuver the steps to get to her second level in her apartment as well as the desire not to just sit all day in the recliner. She even did the organizing of our evening meal on Friday - scallops, asparagus, brown rice, and strawberries.

I had an early morning flight on Sunday and other than an initial snafu when the taxi didn't show up I eventually got to the airport. I was probably lucky it was Sunday as I had no wait to check my suitcase at the curb and there was only one couple ahead of me going through security. The plane was about 2/3 full coming back so it was also nice to have an empty seat next to me.

Jim picked me up at the airport and then we made a couple of stops - then had a late lunch at O'Charley's.

Since I last did the blog several things have transpired in Missouri. On Wednesday, June 13, we will be attending an information meeting at the Liberty hospital relative to the upcoming hip replacement - others will also be in attendance. Then on July 10, Jim has to go through some preliminary testing at the hospital - with surgery scheduled for July 20.

In the meantime, Jim leaves for his first Canada outing early on the morning of June 15 - returning the 21st or 22nd (don't have exact calendar in front of me). He will be home then until the 28th - when he leaves with the second group - returning the evening of July 6.

Be safe.
B.


Friday was basically spent resting - for both of us. We did

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home