Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Wed. May 24

From an almost dark, warmish, humid MO,

This has been a much more active day than I anticipated. The girls slept well - thankfully - with me taking them out about 3:00 and then Jim took them out about 6:00. They then joined me in bed for a serious cuddle until 7:15 as Jim helped me make the bed and then he took off for the first of two breakfast gatherings.

I left here just before 8:00 to join Pat at HyVee. From there I headed to the old WalMart parking area and met Mary Willis, Eva Danner, and Sandy McGinnis to check out Foster's Greenhouse in the area between Avalon and Hale. The three greenhouses weren't real large, but they had a marvelous variety of flowers and vegetables - and all the healthiest I had seen for a very several years. Annuals were half/price and already potted arrangements, etc. were at regular price. I bought a few more annuals (flowers and veggies), but couldn't resist the really healthy looking butterfly bushes - finally convinced myself to get one.

From there we went on to Hale and eventually located the home that Patricia Doughty Ferguson and her new husband have - absolutely a beautiful setting and the house looks marvelous. I hadn't really the new husband was a brother to Susan Norris. We returned to town and headed to Francine's for lunch. Brenda O'Halloran and Marsha Leopard arrived a little afterwards so the two tables had a continual conversation going on.

Then my problems began. I noticed the "service engine" light was on, but needed to go to the bank and then on to the cemetery to leave some flowers at the grave of Elizabeth Willard. I then went by Barnes Baker where they had me drive the car inside, hooked it up, and then quickly lifted the hood of the car and said something about it being hot. I must confess I hadn't even looked at any of the gauges so I don't know if they registered hot or not. Anyway, the fan to the motor (or something like that) was no longer working. They replaced a fuse and have ordered a new fan - to be put on this coming Tuesday. I opted to stay at B/B while they worked and eventually made it home.

When I arrived in the house, I noticed the light was blinking on the telephone and it registered "Houston Rest" which I couldn't figure out at first, then decided it meant Houston's on the Plaza - a marvelous place to eat. I still couldn't figure out what was going on and they soon called again - had found Jim's billfold (I hadn't realized it was missing) and indicated that some credit cards were inside, but no cash. I called Jim on the phone to see where he was (they were heading home and were almost at Liberty) so they turned around to return to the Plaza and get the billfold. On the way home, he called and we compared credit cards - all seemed to be there - so at least I didn't need to start calling credit card companies. He had lost it in the restroom and hadn't realized where he had lost it.

They (Redford, Leroy Butts, and Jim) had stopped to see Jim Nashan on the way down this a.m., but he was in therapy. They then saw Butch Shaffer at St. Luke's (experiencing some heart problems) and received the idea that he would probably be coming home on Thursday - am not sure just what was going on there. On the way home (after returning to the Plaza for the billfold) they stopped again to see Jim Nashan. It seems as if he has lost most of his vision in his right eye and I'm thinking it is the left ankle and foot causing him a lot of problems. He speaks fine and mind is alert, but mobility is quite an issue. Jim actually found Nashan better than he expected, but of course not in a very condition either.

On the way home, Jim called that they were stalled south of Kearney due to a bad wreck so they were later getting home than expected after the billfold fiasco. Actually they were earlier as had things gone well, I think they had planned on seeing a movie.

Thursday is a full day for us. I have breakfast with the ladies, Jim takes the truck in at 8:30 for an oil change, the girls get summer haircuts at 10:30, and at some time we are going to Edinburg to decorate graves. It seems as if something else is on the schedule, but my old mind is going blank right now.

Be safe.
B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home