Sunday, May 14, 2006

Sat. Sun. May 13 & 14

From a cooler, breezy MO,

Saturday turned out to be a cool, breezy day at Excelsior Springs. We ate at HyVee and then went to the stadium as Jim was going to be riding the girls' bus to ES. I followed with the car as he planned on riding home with me. Some of you will remember Gene and Wanda Sturgess - their son, Denny, drives for our school system and he was the driver for the girls' bus yesterday.

When the sun was out on Saturday, the day was almost warm enough for me to take off my long sleeve jacket, but when the clouds came, it was a very different story - not miserably cold, but the wind was from the northwest and it was almost necessary to add my heavy sweatshirt. I did use the hood on my sweatshirt for most of the day to keep the wind off my neck and head - I'm old enough that I don't worry about fashion!

Jim's vaulters performed much to his liking yesterday, but did not qualify in the top four so as to be able to move on to the sectional this coming Saturday. The boys had two qualify for sectional and I'm thinking the girls qualified in the shot, discus, high jump, and the 4x400 relay. There were several fifth places, but that just doesn't make the cut.

We were back in Chillicothe probably about 7:00 (don't really remember). We went by the stadium so Jim could be sure the poles got off the bus. Most of the kids were picked up within minutes (thanks to cell phone calls made about 10 miles out of town), but one young girl had relatives picking her up. The girls' coach had gone on to Lexington for a wedding and we didn't want the asst. coach (male) to be left alone with the girl so we waited, and we waited, and we waited. We finally sent him on home as he lives in Brookfield and about 10 minutes later the relatives showed up. I don't know how long we waited in total, but probably between 30 to 45 minutes.

Needless to say, we were in bed early last night - and slept well.

I fixed French toast for breakfast this a.m. and later made a quick trip to HyVee for the makings of a taco salad for our supper. We spent about 30 to 45 minutes digging up the area where I plant tomatoes (so far our days have not been warm enough for any length of time to allow plants to grow), but I do hope to get tomatoes planted this week - as well as a few flowers in the pots that I use.

We are going to a graduation reception in about 2 hours. I had bought a summery outfit to wear as I didn't think I had something appropriate (because of my walrus size) and am going to shift gears to dig out the dockers and look for a long sleeve sweater as it is only maybe in the mid 50s - or less - today.

I do Mobile Meals in the a.m. This will be the first time I've done it with the new computer and new "quirks" with the system so I am hoping all goes well. Patty Mefford is coming in to help in case I have problems. Darla has worked with the system the past couple of weeks and has to some degree mastered the new quirks, but I need to experience something to learn.

If you have not checked Doug and Dara's blog site recently - Dara has currently posted two messages about their first two days in the wine country north of San Francisco. We found them quite interesting.

Be safe.
B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home