Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Tues. April 25

From a now cool, breezy MO,

Today has been a day of great contrast over previous days. I doubt if the temperature reached 60 today, but I was my usual stubborn self - did put on jeans and a sweatshirt this a.m, but refused to wear socks with my sandals - stubborn to the end!

Jim sometimes picks the busiest days to decide that we need to do a few things. When we first communicated this a.m. it was to find out that he wanted to go to Country Kitchen about 8:00 - of course he had forgotten that I had five ladies arriving at 10:00 and a few more things needed to be done. I lobbied for 7:30 and we compromised at 7:45. Breakfast went fine and then he wanted to go to WalMart - for gas and for about four items - then we just had to stop at the post office. Of course I was ready when the ladies arrived about 10:00, but did feel a few minutes of rushed living.

We had thirteen applications to look at today. I had scanned them yesterday and I try to stay out of the selection as I'm considered the chairperson. Two or three of the applicants place high enough in their class that they will receive numerous scholarships so we sort of looked at other possibilities. We finally ended up with a recipient and then chose a first and second alternate. The scholarship is for $500 and will be given to the recipient at the end of the first semester in college providing that grades are satisfactory.

The ladies left at 12:00 and Jim was then ready to head to the bowling alley for sandwiches. Tuesday is a good day to go as again they had a two for one offer. Jim ended up with a cheeseburger and I opted for one of their specials - pulled pork BBQ sandwich - I think it was so tender that a person could have easily "gummed" it.

My car is still at Barnes Baker so I took Jim to track practice, came home and did some follow-up paperwork on the scholarship and then took off a little before 4:00 to join the ladies for dessert at Washington Street. I think we had five there - Helen, Peggy, Margaret (Larry is in Mississippi doing volunteer carpentry work), Mary, and yours truly.

I had put a frozen veggie lasagna in the oven at a low temperature before I left and it was in good shape when I finally returned home.

Jim joins both groups for breakfast in the a.m. and of course will have track practice in the late afternoon. I don't have specific plans, but want to get thank you notes written to the five ladies that helped today judge applications as well as I write a thank you note to each of the students not receiving the scholarship - thanking them for their interest and wishing them well. I really need also to get back to genealogy - am almost finished, but will rest easier when I do the last few things.

Be safe.
B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home