Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Tues. & early Wed. April 18 & 19

From a sunny Wednesday a.m. - as compared to what was a stormy Tuesday evening!

Jim and I headed to Country Kitchen on Tuesday a.m. to have a good breakfast. Eventually we ended up dozing some prior to heading to Cameron for a large track meet. Jim ran off the pole vault and had one unhappy Cameron father. Cameron's cross bar for the pole vault area was already broken and mended by duct tape - of course it wasn't straight and sometimes when a vaulter went over and the bar should have come off, it stayed because it sagged where the broken spot was - this was the first irritation for the father as he thought Jim should make a judgement call as to whether the vault should count - Jim stayed consistent in that if the cross bar stayed on - the vault was okay - if the bar came down - then it was counted as a miss. Then the father got concerned that the sagging bar was not always pushed upwards enough to make it sort of straight and of course he was claiming that Jim was favoring some vaulters over others - which if you know Jim know if anything he would be harder on Chilli vaulters. Of course Cameron should have had a cross bar that was okay, but the guy didn't seem to understand this. His wife was also taking photos of all the vaulters and by that time I was paranoid enough that I figured he would get a ruler out and try to measure the difference in the sag. The guy has two vaulters that seem to be good kids and Jim has been around them for the past two or three years, and the father has always seemed good until last evening. Oh, well -

The pole vault was over when we discovered that sirens were going off in Chillicothe. We were at the stage in the meet where only the 3200 meter run was left as well as the 4x400 (the latter I enjoy watching) and we decided to head home. Jim was hesitant to go too fast as he didn't want to run into hail and of course I wanted to get home to see how the girls were. I had called Sandy Wheeler and she had indicated golf ball size hail and the radio was talking about a tornado that maybe touched down south of Chillicothe, but was also inferring one was just west of Chillicothe. When we pulled into town, there wasn't much evidence of storm except for leaves being down and a few limbs.

I took the girls outside and then in a little while headed for bed. About 10:00, Jim decided to take them outside again and rather than taking the time to tie his shoelaces, he headed outside with the girls - Abby running ahead of him and Trixie in his arms. Again rather than going around the area where no steps were involved, he headed down the steps, tripped over a shoelace - and took a nasty fall. I'm afraid I wasn't very sympathetic as I've been on his case numerous times about walking around with shoelaces untied! Anyway, he is walking today, but of course is sore.

The girls slept until almost 5:30 this morning - thank goodness as I needed a good night of sleep after being outside in the sun yesterday. Jim headed out to his two breakfasts this morning and I headed to HyVee to join Pat for breakfast. I also picked up some frozen veggies to make chop suey tonight - will use the last of the pork chops for the meat.

Jim is using the riding lawnmower in the front yard and am not sure what he is going to do in the backyard, but he is sure he doesn't need my help.

Somehow in a weak moment, I volunteered to help choose the senior speaker at commencement. The speeches are being given this evening so I will take a nap later today so maybe I will be alert.

I have the car at Barnes Baker hoping they will find out what is causing the "twanging" noise whenever I turn the steering wheel.

Dara has a good item on yesterday's (or Sunday's) blog about their trip to Poteet to get two flats of strawberries so as to make wine. Some of you might find this interesting. http://danddaustinupdate.blogspot.com/


I doubt if I will be back on this evening. I have breakfast with the ladies in the a.m., haircut at 10:00, pick up cookies for the 1:30 library board meeting, and seems there is also something else on the calendar for Thursday.

Be safe.
B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home