Saturday, July 01, 2006

Sat. July 1

Update on Jim --

Jim and I were at St. Luke's South on Tuesday a.m. for a "routine" what used to be called angiogram and probably an angioplasty. I packed with the idea that we would be home probably on Wednesday - and Thursday at the latest. The staff where we were at SLS was excellent. Jim was soon back in the recovery room - as three significant blockages had been located. He was moved by ambulance to the main St. Luke's (south of Westport and north of the Plaza.) I had no trouble getting there, but had a horrible time trying to get into the parking facility because of construction - but finally made it.

I picked Doug up at KCI at 7:00 that evening as he flew in from Austin.

To make a long story short - Jim had a three way by-pass done on Wednesday - late in the a.m. as he was a "tag-on" patient. He was out of surgery by about 4:00 and into the recovery area where Doug and I had a chance to see him - not a pretty sight except that he was alive.

He was not a happy camper when we saw him on Thursday a.m. - obviously in pain, little sleep, etc. Doug returned to the hotel to get some work done on his computer and I dozed in the ICU waiting room for about two hours. The next time, he looked much improved. He was moved out of the ICU recovery on Thursday afternoon.

By this (Sat.) a.m. - he has been walking, learning how to maneuver with the "heart" belt around him, and doing a lot of dozing.

Doug and I made a quick trip back to Chillicothe today as I hadn't taken my bottled prescriptions - only what I had set out in plastic containers - and by now was out.

We are about ready now (2:50) to head back to KC.

I will take Doug to the airport on Sunday a.m. as he will fly back to Austin (unless there are problems tonight.)

At this point it appears that I will be driving Jim home either on Monday or Tuesday.

B.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to you, Dara, and Margaret for keeping us up to date on everything. Our prayers and best wishes for Jim and you from here in Hermosa. Tom and Linda

7/01/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barb,
So good to hear from you. We girls know that you and Jim and Doug have been through a lot. I have watched Dara's blog closely and she has done a great job of Doug's communication. Welcome home with Jim, none too soon. Kay

7/02/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home