Friday, February 10, 2006

Fri. Feb. 10

From a dark, cold, somewhat breezy MO,

Jim joined a group of old geezers for breakfast this a.m. and I basically did as little as possible around here. John Roney arrived about 10:00 to carry off the enormous, old tv set that we had - Jim guessed it weighed close to 300 pounds. Mr. Roney carries off items for a flat fee - some which he salvages and others go to the dump - I'm happy to just have the items gone and not worry about nails in the area of the dump.

The four of us got out about 11:00 to do a few errands. Then I went to HyVee to do some minor grocery shopping. HyVee has a promotion going that grocery receipts totallying $25.00 can be turned in to any local school and the school in May will get a check for 3% of the total they collect. I get rather frustrated when I end up with a bill of $24.plus change - just miss the $25.00 amount.

A guy from Time Warner cable came by this a.m. and set the new tv up so that we can enjoy all the benefits that it has. Well not quite all, as I am too stingy to pay for all of the channels. The reception and sound are so much better than what we had been getting with the old tv.

I'm not sure where the rest of the afternoon went. Earlier I fixed the infamous chocolate chip cookie pie. We had two pieces for supper and I called the lady next door to let me know when she gets home this evening as they can have the rest of the pie - her husband loves it.

We will have a big day on Saturday so I think we are taking Tylenol PM tonight to get a good night of rest. We'll probably leave about noon to first go to the Liberty area to check out Target and Pier One. Then we are heading to the Half Price book store at about 90th and Metcalf as Jim has found a new author that he is enjoying. We will also call Bill Aronson to see if he is interested in joining us for a late afternoon meal.

We met Bill and Barbara Aronson many years ago at Pomme de Terre. I think we were still using the old truck that Big Mike had sold to JT and Lorraine - with the camper shell on it. Anyway, Bill and Barbara were enjoyable people to be around. They had a golden lab - or maybe retriever named Sandy who loved to put a can of cold beer in her mouth and then swim out into the lake to anyone needing refreshment. Barbara died last spring and we didn't know about it until we received a Christmas card from Bill.

Jim and I will be attending the Kingston Trio concert at Yardley Hall on the campus of Johnson County Community College. Bernard and Sandy Ross have been in Florida with David and Nylene Sage are are to be back in time for the concert. This will be Bernard and Sandy's first trip to the Carlsen Center. I am sure I won't be on when we get home as it probably will be after midnight.

Until I am on again - be safe!

B.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell Jim that his timing leaves much to be desired, in that his new TV should have been in place and operable for the Grammy Awards. Teri Hatcher's dress would have looked fantastic in high-definition.

2/10/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home