Thursday, February 02, 2006

Wednesday and Thursday (Feb. 1 & 2)

Jim has had two busy days. He joined both breakfast groups on Wednesday and then headed to Dr. Eden's to help construct beds for a "partner" church in Mississippi. I think men from the local UMC are building 60 beds (will be made into bunk beds) and with the help of several local guys (including several breakfast "old fogies"), they were able to finish and load them this (Thurs.) morning. It is my understanding that the 4x4s needed for final construction will be done in Mississippi. A group from the local UMC had gone to the community (or church) in Mississippi about a week and a half ago and I guess they came home realizing that these beds were sorely needed.

I picked up five garbage bags of wool items from Threads on Wednesday. When I went through the bags, I realized that several items were wool blends instead of 100% wool so I bagged these items and returned them to Threads this a.m. For those of you not knowing, this is a "store" operated under the auspices of RSVP as an outlet for used clothing or other items that people are discarding - it is staffed by RSVP volunteers - Clara works here on Mondays. I ended up with two large laundry baskets overflowing with clothing. Of course much cannot be used - especially in suit jackets - as bonding is used to make the material stiffer, but I am still gaining a good supply of wool. I then wash it in HOT water and put it through the dryer.

We stayed up and watched the MU/Texas basketball game last night. I had the tv on, but didn't hear much of the game as a cousin (on my mom's side of the family) called me from Canada. She has a plan whereby a flat fee covers unlimited long distance calling so we were on the phone for close to two hours. Kay -- you will remember Margaret. She and her husband have two sons - one got married last summer and the other will be getting married this summer - and imagine my surprise when I found out the second wedding is in the area of St. Catherine's, Canada - where the Jobsons first landed when they came from England. Actually they stayed in the St. Catherine's area for a number of years as most of their children were born there - and it was a large family.

I joined five others for breakfast this a.m. - Marsha Leopard, Pat, Mary, Sandy, and my tired mind is going blank! Jan was substituting this a.m., Judy was in the Springfield area with her middle son, and I am not sure about others. We had a good visit - as usual - with not too much new coming up other than reminding ourselves about the lunch and antique outing this coming Monday. One story that I have now heard twice is about an attempted rape outside our local hospital in recent weeks - guess the guy got spooked because of some noise - only thing that saved the nurse who had gone outside to smoke. Nothing about this has been in the local newspaper and if the story IS true - I find this quite upsetting as we tend to be complacent in a small community - and therefore vulnerable. I would hate to think the story is not making the local news because of pressure from the hospital.

I picked Jim up at 10:00 this a.m. (he had taken truck in for an oil change at 8:00 and then walked to Dr. Eden's home) and after he got cleaned up, we loaded up the girls and did some errands. I found three more wool items at the Salvation Army (from items that have been in the store at least two weeks) and will go back in another two weeks to again check the older items. I don't want to take new items if someone needs them. They have all clothing items color coded and every week remove the oldest to replace them with new -- actually a good idea.

I started the newest Lillian Jackson Braun book last evening and it is a fast read - maybe one of the reasons I like this series - actually I do enjoy all the characters and what transpires as well. I have decided to cut wool during daylight hours as the darkness makes it difficult (even with the new good light) and of course my right hand begins getting tender with all the use.

In the next few days I will try to figure out how to move some recent snapshots to this blog, but the old body and mind are still recuperating. I'm now ready to go down for a nap with Jim and the girls.

Until I do another update - be safe. B.

1 Comments:

Blogger dquack said...

I like the new template you are using. It's very nice looking.

2/03/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home