Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sept. 3-26

From a marvelous Missouri fall --

This has been a rather full 3 and one/half weeks. We have of course gone to Friday night football games (one happened to be on a Thursday night), enjoyed our excellent weather, helped in a very small volunteer way at the Tour of Missouri, had dental appointments, Jim saw his cardiologist for a routine appointment, and in general we have had something going most of the time. We have had a couple of trips to the Liberty/Parkville area because of doctor appointments.

The dramatic part of this time began in the wee hours of Thursday morning. Jim awakened to the smell of something like burned rubber. We checked the house over - upstairs and downstairs - and couldn't find anything that appeared to be suspicious - except for the odor. We went outside and checked around the house - and again came up with nothing. Needless to say, we had a restless night for what remained.

I called an electrician on Thursday morning and he spent quite a bit of time checking outlets, dishwasher, garbage disposal, climbed into the attic, and really didn't come up with anything. I checked the temperature in the refrigerator and it was fine.

On Friday morning, I walked into a kitchen with water on the floor - coming from the refrigerator. This time the temperature was 60 or a little more - and it was obvious we were going to lose a lot of food in the refrigerator as well as the freezer (as it was completely thawed.) I began bagging (actually double bagging) refrigerator contents and moved them to the basement freezer - thank goodness the oldster is still working. Jim called a local appliance person when time became more appropriate and he came in a couple of hours. He quickly found the problem - something called the "start-device" was about 3/4 charred. I guess we were lucky we didn't have a fire. He replaced it quickly.

I had given the refrigerator/freezer a fairly good cleaning while waiting for the repairman. Now we just needed to wait until it was good and cold.

We didn't get around to doing shopping until Saturday morning, but I know I will find odds and ends that I forgot to write down that needed replacing.

Jim's saddest thing was that he and Dr. Eden had fished on Thursday and got into a good batch of crappie - which Jim had spent about an hour cleaning after a long day on the lake. I insisted these also had to be pitched and I thought he might cry.

I had ordered a pair of my favorite Birkenstocks the first week in August and they finally arrived at the store. I find it hard to believe that they no longer carried them, but I guess I am becoming an old codger and just like what I have always liked. We will make a quick trip to the city again this Tuesday to pick them up and Jim is hoping that the new Bernard Cornwell book will be in stock at either Border's or Barnes & Noble.

I have another CT about the second week in October so should know a little more about my situation a week later.


Be safe.
B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home