Friday, December 21, 2007

Dec. 13-21, 2007

From what is almost like a spring day - only snow is on the way!

We have been rather occupied since our return from LA. On Thursday (13th) we made a trip to Liberty so that Jim could have his hearing aids checked. We had two or three places to go - Sam's, Kohl's, and somewhere else that has slipped my mind. We ate as usual at O'Charley's.

We have spent a couple of evenings in the truck listening to Texas basketball on XM radio. At least tomorrow we will be able to watch the game on tv. Eva has an XM radio that she can move from her car to the house - and we are toying with checking into that possibility. Jim also listens to SC football games on the XM when they are not on tv.

Monday was a full day. I had the computer work for Mobile Meals and Ruth joined me to do the xeroxing. She is an absolute dear. At 10:30, the girls had much needed haircuts - somewhat to their dismay, but to our pleasure. Trixie had picked up a few snarls in her hair while at the kennel, and didn't enjoy our trying to get it unsnarled - or cut out. I had my first meeting with the board of New Horizons that evening - this will take some reading of the books for me as it is a whole new field. Afterwards, we went to El Toro for supper - Jim had a taco salad with chicken rather than beef and I am not sure the name of what I had, but it was delicious and will have it definitely again.

Over last weekend, I read DAR essays and on Tuesday met with others to choose winners. Actually the ones submitted were overall easy to read so it wasn't a chore.

On Wednesday of this week, Sandy McG hosted a brunch for the Thursday morning breakfast ladies. We had the brunch catered and the food was delicious - multiple types of sweet breads and appropriate butters to go with them, one hot fruit casserole, one egg/cheese casserole, and one potato/cheese/ham/egg casserole. No one should have left hungry. The egg/cheese casserole was probably my favorite and I need to try to get the recipe for it.

On Wednesday afternoon, I joined the CMS faculty for their annual Christmas social. Three other retirees were also there - Mr. O'Dell, Doug L., and Kay G. Sandy McG was on her way to see the newest granddaughter and to spend the night there. I am not sure where some of the others were.

On Thursday morning, Pat and I were the only ones to show up for breakfast. She also called me about 4:00 and we had coffee at HyVee. That evening, I went to the wrestling meet with Savannah - Jim stayed in front of the tv.

Jim forgot about his Friday breakfast and took off late - after I reminded him. I decided to also head out for breakfast and ended up at HyVee for a breakfast much larger than I usually get - but it was just what my mind and stomach needed - true comfort food.

I have made what is called "King's Ranch Casserole" today and currently have it in the crockpot - will put it in the oven a little bit later. We are joining our old group of friends tonight at Bernard and Sandy's. We used to get together after football games - Jim and I usually headed home about midnight, but others often went out for breakfast the coming morning. We no longer get together after games - as we go home and go to bed! We are gathering about 6:15 this evening - and figure we will be in bed by 10:00.

I haven't seen any weather forecast today, but winter weather is supposed to join us again on Saturday. Jim decided to scoop out the driveway the last time although we have someone contracted with to do it for us. He kept complaining about the cold each time he came in and I am afraid I wasn't sympathetic. I saw the "contractor" this morning at HyVee and he indicated he had come by our way to clear off the driveway. I reminded him of Jim's bull headedness - and foolishness. He suggested (with a smile on his face) that maybe I needed to get handcuffs for Jim - and suggest doing something "kinky" rather than shoveling snow. I went to WalMart this a.m. to see if they had such things, but struck out - had decided to add a pair to his stocking. Since I struck out, I told Jim about the handcuffs and he had a good laugh.

We are heading to Stan and Helen's on Tuesday to join them for a Christmas meal. At some point this coming week, we are hoping to get to Kansas City as we are beginning to make a list of things that we think we need.

Be safe.
B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home