Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Wed. April 4

From a sunny, windy, coolish MO,

My poor daffodils appear to have gone by the wayside as they were bent over this a.m. and the blooms were brown. The tulips don't appear to be in any better shape and I haven't had the courage to check the peonies! The temp this a.m. was in the mid 20s with a cold, blustery wind from the north.

I had anticipated a quiet day and it has turned into a day of some interesting action. Jim of course went to his two breakfasts this a.m. and I managed to crawl out of bed and head to HyVee. Pat had just arrived and Jerry Schmidt came soon afterwards. We were just seated and I realized someone was at my shoulder and it was Doug Long.

Jerry taught vocal music here in my early days and Doug arrived on the scene the freshman year of our son's entry into high school. Jerry is an avid history reader and loves to explore historical sites. Doug L. also has a keen interest in history and has a background in kayaking and mountain biking - with Jerry also having a love of photography. These two had not met before and it didn't take long and Doug was in awe of Jerry's historical knowledge - ranging from KC history to Custer's battle with the Indians. Eventually Doug brought up about the Thompson homestead just north of Edinburg (near Crowder Park) and this was something completely new to Jerry. Anway it was quite fun and interesting watching these two (close to a generation apart) explore each other's minds.

Jim and I walked at the Y a little after 10:00, cleaned up, and headed for Trenton, Gallatin, and Jamesport. We couldn't pass eating at Huckleberry's - with Jim having his favorite croissant sandwich and I couldn't by-pass the broccoli/cheese soup in a sour dough bread bowl. Just east of Gallatin we located a place that sells "natural" meat and bought a small smoked turkey. They have quite an assortment of meat there and I feel sure we will make a return trip. Of course south of Jamesport we had to stop at H&M to get a few treats - including some Havarti cheese.

We are now settled in for the afternoon. I haven't heard Jim say yet if he is going over to pole vault practice and I intend to settle in with a third in a series book by Susan Wittig Albert - a China Bayles mystery. These are very light reading with a setting just south of Austin, TX. She also has an English series written under the name of Robin Paige. Under the name of Albert, she also has a Beatrix Potter mystery series. I think Pat first came across these at "I Love a Mystery" book store on Johnson Dr.

Be safe.
B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home