Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Feb. 25-March 17

From a balmy MO!

The first week or so from my last blog was rather typical - not much going on, etc. -- then the action began --

Towards the end of February, I was experiencing pain in my right back - just under shoulder blade. This eventually became stabbing at times - and I wasn't a happy camper, but I thought I would be a tough old biddy (my mom's words about herself) until I was to see the doctor for my yearly physical on March 11. On March 2, I took some paperwork to my doctor's office on another matter and mentioned my pain to the doctor's wife and she suggested that I see the nurse practioner the next day - turned out to be a good thing.

I awakened on Tuesday a.m. with worse pain and began passing blood in my urine. By the time I reached the doctor's office, there was no question that I was having a problem of some kind. The NP scheduled an ultra sound for me that afternoon - which turned out negative, but she and the doctor decided to get me scheduled at St. Joseph at Jim's urologist.

On Thursday (5th) we headed to St. Joseph where I had a urine sample, bladder scan, and a CT scan. The urine sample was sent off to be sure there were no cancer cells present.

On Monday (9th) we had a phone call from the St. Joseph clinic that a mass of 3.9 had shown up on my right adrenal gland. (Go to your favorite search engine and type in adrenal gland mass)
They wanted to schedule a second CT scan and bloodwork (could have been done in Chillicothe, but I opted for St. Joseph Heartland hospital) so off we were on the road again on Tuesday to St. Joseph. (By the way, both scans were first done with no injection - and then with an injection.)

We went back to see the urologist on Friday (13th) and he indicated the second CT had confirmed the mass, but it was just slightly smaller - as they measured it. There were no cancer cells in the urine.

If you have looked up "adrenal gland mass" you will have noticed that between 3.0 and 3.9 is a size that is considered "wait and see" with another CT scan being suggested in 6 months. Dr. K suggested that rather than wait 6 months that I come back in 3 months. Over 4.0 would probably indicate the need for some kind of surgery.

Jim was rather unsettled with this as we were discussing the situation on the way home as he thought 3 months was too long to wait. I am going to check in with Dr. Metry in a week or so (he should have received a report from Dr. K by then) and see if he thinks I should wait 3 months or be seen by an endocrineologist (spelling) since the adrenal gland is actually considered part of the endocrine system.

In the meantime, Jim has been over to Joe Shelby lake to "wet a line" and has gone to Dr. Eden's lake. He can hold on well enough with his left hand that he is ready for some serious fishing.

Track season began on March 2, but so far Jim hasn't gone over to practice - of course we have also been on the road a lot. We are planning on leaving Saturday (21st) to go to Austin for a few days - leaving probably the 26th to head back home. We will miss the Kearney relays and will probably be too tired to go to the Warrensburg relays, but should be ready for the home meet with Savannah and Benton on the 31st. Tammy, give Clint a hug for us and explain to Samantha why we aren't there - give her a hug as well.

I guess I mention tired as when I read the items on adrenal gland mass, many of the symptoms are so typical of me - tiredness, hoarseness, pain, difficulty in losing weight, etc.

Until next time.
B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home